Site Sponsored by Blackwater Wealth Management Ltd
General safety tips
Are you at risk from carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an invisible and odourless poisonous gas, produced when fuel does not burn properly. Each year around 50 people in the UK die from poisoning caused by boilers and other gas appliances that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Symptoms of poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and collapse.
Always turn the gas off at the bottle when not using appliances and before leaving your hut and make sure gas bottles are removed over the winter. Never leave empty gas bottles lying around the hut area - "empty" cylinders may still contain some LPG vapour and are still potentially dangerous. If you are having any major work carried out to your hut or having it replaced, always remove gas cylinders first as there is a risk that they may not be properly secured whilst work is carried out.
There are a few basic checks that you can carry out yourself to see if your gas system may need further attention:
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless gas that can cause serious illness and even death. If you are enjoying your hut with your gas heater burning, kettle on, doors shut and windows in place, you may have insufficient ventilation and be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide alarms are easy to install and are now available with a 10 year battery life.
This information has been put together from various sources dealing with beach hut, caravan and boat gas safety. If you are in any doubt about the gas installation in your hut or the safety of any of your gas appliances, please contact a qualified gas engineer who is trained to deal with LPG (liquid petroleum gas). The large number of caravan sites in the Tendring area means that there are several local firms who specialise in caravan LPG servicing and installation.